UNN Postgraduate Courses Available For 2015/2016…
The University of Nigeria available Postgraduate Programmes for the 2015/2016 academic year has been released. Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into full-time, part-time and sandwich postgraduate programmes in various Faculties, Institutes and Centres for the 2015/2016 academic year.
For details of 2015/2016 UNN Postgraduate programme application procedures, click here
Candidates on full-time employment are not eligible to apply for full-time studies. The available higher degree and postgraduate diploma programmes are indicated below.
- FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural Extension, Animal Science, Crop Science, Food Science & Technology, Home Science,
Nutrition & Dietetics and Soil Science. The Department of Animal Science offers M.Sc. and Ph.D.
degree programmes in Animal Nutrition and Biochemistry; Animal Production; Animal Physiology and
Animal Breeding & Genetics. The Department of Food Science & Technology offers the following
areas of specialization: Food Chemistry & Analysis; Animal Products Technology; Fruits & Vegetable
Processing Technology; Cereals, Pulses, Legumes & Tuber Processing Technology; Quality Control &
Assurance; Food Biotechnology, and Food Engineering and Processing. The following areas of
specialization are offered in the Department of Soil Science: Soil Genesis; Survey & Classification;
Soil Chemistry & Mineralogy; Soil Biology & Biochemistry; Soil Fertility Management; Soil Physics
and Conservation; and Environmental Impact Assessment and Land Evaluation. Department of
Agricultural Economics offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. in the following areas of specialization: Farm
Management & Production Economics; Agricultural Marketing & Agribusiness; Agricultural Finance
& Project Analysis; Agricultural Cooperatives and Resources & Environmental Economics. The
Department of Agricultural Economics also offers PGD programme in Co-operative Studies; Farm
Management & Production Economics and Agribusiness & Marketing. The Departments of Food
Science & Technology, Crop Science, Animal Science, Agricultural Extension, and Soil Science
Departments also offer postgraduate Diploma Programmes.
- FACULTY OF ARTS
PGD, M.A. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of Foreign Languages & Literatures, Mass Communication, Theatre & Film Studies and Music. Department of Foreign
Languages & Literatures has the following programme areas at Masters degree level: M.A. in African Literature in French: French Language and Linguistics; German as Foreign Language; German Literature; French Literature; Caribean Literature; and Translation (French- English-French). The department also has the following area of specialization at the Ph.D degree level: African Literature; French Literature, Caribean Literature and German Literature. Department of Archaeology and Tourism offers M.A. and Ph.D. programmes in Polaeolithic Studies, Iron Age Archaeology, Origins of Food Production & Urbanization, Cultural Resource Management (Museum or Tourism Option), while the Department of Fine and Applied Arts offers M.A. and Ph.D. in Art History and Art Education as well as MFA in the areas of Textiles Design, Sculpture,Painting, Ceramics, Visual Communication Design, and Printmaking. Department of English and Literary Studies offers PGD, M.A. and Ph.D. programmes in English as a Second Language (ESL), English Language, Literature, Comparative Studies & Literature. Department of Linguistics, Igbo & other Nigerian Languages offers the following areas of specialization: M.A. in Linguistics, African Languages, Literature in African Languages,
Translation and Interpreting and Ph.D. in Linguistics, African Languages and Literature. Department of Theatre and Film Studies offers M.A. and Ph.D. in History of Drama and Theatre; Dramatic Theory and Criticism; African Drama and Theatre; Acting and Directing; Playwriting. Department of Music offers M.A. and Ph.D. in African Music; Conducting & Music Directing; Music Education; Music & Mass Media; Musicology: Theory & Composition; & Musical Instruments Technology; and Performance. The Department also offers Postgraduate Diploma in Music (PGDM). The Department of History & International Studies offers M.A. and Ph.D. programmes.
- FACULTY OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes are offered by the Departments of Biochemistry, Plant Science &
Biotechnology, Microbiology, and Zoology & Environmental Biology. The Department of Zoology & Environmental Biology offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in Physiology, Parasitology, Entomology, Fisheries Biology & Hydrobiology. Department of Biochemistry offers the following options:
Vertebrate Biochemistry; Plant Biochemistry; Enzymology & Protein Chemistry as related to food production, Biomedicine Proteomics and Biotechnology; Molecular Biology; Pharmacological Industrial Biochemistry; Medical Biochemistry; Lipids & Lipoproteins; Biophysical Chemistry, Industrial Biochemistry and Biotechnology; Nutrition and Food Sciences; Biochemistry of the Soil;
Biochemical Aspects of disease and Bases for Chemistry including African Traditional Medicine; and
Human Biochemical Genetics (particularly for the West African sub-region). PGD in Brewing Science
and Technology is offered by the Department of Micobiology. Department of Plant Science &
Biotechnology offers the following areas of specialization: Plant Anatomy, Taxonomy/Biosystematic,
Embryology of Angiosperms, Ecology/Palaecology, Genetics/Cytology, Mycology/Plant Pathology, Physiology/Tissue Culture, Algology/Bryology.
- FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
PGD, MBA, M.Sc. & Ph.D. programmes are offered by the Departments of Accountancy, Banking & Finance, Management and Marketing. Candidates with Higher National Diploma (HND) Upper Credit, or its equivalent or those whose first degrees, are in fields other than Business Administration, with minimum of good third class honors are eligible to apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration. Candidates may apply for programmes leading to M.Sc. & Ph.D: in (Public Relations) in Department of Marketing.
- FACULTY OF EDUCATION
M.Ed. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of Adult Education & Extra
Mural Studies, Educational Foundations, Arts Education, Science Education, Health & Physical
Education (Health Education and Physical Education & Recreation options), Library & Information Science, Social Science Education and Vocational Teacher Education. Institute of Education offers Sandwich postgraduate Diploma programme. The Department of Educational Foundations offers M.Ed. and Ph.D. in the following areas: Childhood Education, Educational Psychology, Guidance, & Counselling, History of Education, Philosophy of Education, Sociology of Education, Educational Administration & Planning and Special Education. Department of Library & Information Science offers MLS and Ph.D programmes. Department of Adult Education & Extra Mural Studies offers M.Ed. and Ph.D. programmes with the following options: Administration, Community Development, Extension & Distance Education. Department of Science Education offers M.Ed. & Ph.D. programmes with the following options: Educational Research Methodology; Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology; etc. and Measurement & Evaluation. Department of Arts Education offers M.Ed. and Ph.D.
programmes in Curriculum Studies; Language Education; Educational Technology; Comparative & International Education; Music Education; and Fine & Applied Arts Education. Department of Social Science Education offers M.Ed. and Ph.D. programmes in Economics Education, Political Science Education, Population & Family Life Education, Geographical & Environmental Education, and Social Studies Education. Department of Vocational Teacher Education offers M.Ed. and Ph.D. in Agricultural Education, Business Education, Computer Education, Home Economics Education, and Industrial Technical Education. Postgraduate Diploma programmes in the Faculty of Education are domiciled as follows: (PGDE) in Educational Foundations; PGDL in Library & Information Science;
PGDTE in Vocational Teacher Education and Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Education domiciled in the Department of Social Science Education.
- FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
M.Eng. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. Currently, the Department of Electronics Engineering has no facilities in the area of Control Systems. The Department of Civil Engineering offers M.Eng. and Ph.D. degree programmes in the following areas: Structural Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering, Materials & Construction, and Highway Engineering. Department of Agricultural & Bioresources Engineering offers M.Eng. & Ph.D. degree programmes in the following areas: Farm Power & Machinery, Soil Water Engineering, Agricultural Products Processing & Storage, Farm Structures & Environmental Control. The Departments of Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering offer PGD programmes.
- FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes are offered by the Departments of Architecture, Geoinformatics & Surveying while MURP and Ph.D. are offered in the Department of Urban & Regional Planning.
Department of Estate Management offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes only.
- FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES & TECHNOLOGY
M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes are offered by the Departments of Health Administration & Management,
Medical Rehabilitation, Nursing Science, Medical Laboratory Sciences and Medical Radiography & Radiological Sciences.
The Department of Health Administration & Management offers PGD, M.Sc.
and Ph.D. programmes in the following areas:
Health Economics and Health Management & Policy.
The Department of Medical Laboratory Science offers M.Sc and Ph.D. programmes in the following areas: Clinical Chemistry; Haematology; Histopathology; Microbiology and Immunology. The Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences also offers PGD programme. Department of Nursing Sciences offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in the following areas: Community Health Nursing;
Maternal & Child Health Nursing; Medical Surgical Nursing; Mental Health & Psychiatric Nursing;
Nursing Administration & Management and Nursing Education. The Department of Medical
Radiography & Radiological Sciences offers PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in the following
areas: Medical Imaging; Radiation/Environmental Protection; Radiological Education; Radiotherapy &
Oncology and Radiology Administration & Management. The Department of Medical Rehabilitation
offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in the following areas: Physiotherapy; Pathokinesioliogy;
- FACULTY OF LAW
LL.M. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered in the Departments of Public & Private Law,
Property & Commercial Law and International Law & Jurisprudence. Programme areas available in the
Faculty are: Jurisprudence & Legal Theory, Comparative Constitutional Law, Comparative Company
Law, Comparative Criminal Law, Law of Commercial Transactions, International Human Rights Law,
Energy & Natural Resources Law, Law of Commercial Arbitration, Sentencing & Treatment of
Offenders, Law of Marine Insurance, and Law & Medicine.
- FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of Anatomy, Medical
Biochemistry, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, and Human Physiology; while MPH degree programme is offered by the Department of Community Medicine. Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics offers M.Sc and DMSC degree programmes. Department of Medicine offers M.D. and M.S. degree programmes
- FACULTY OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
M.Pharm, M.Sc., Pharm.D., and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of
Pharmaceutical Technology & Industrial Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacognosy,
Pharmacology & Toxicology and Pharmaceutics while M.Pharm. & Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Department of Clinical Pharmacy & Pharmacy Management with the following areas of specialization: Pharmaceutical Services, Pharmacotherapy, Ambulatory Care/Adult Medicine, Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Hospital Pharmacy, Social Pharmacy/Behavioural Pharmacy, Pediatric Pharmacy, Hematology, Pharmacy Management, and Infectious Diseases. The Department of Pharmaceutics has the following areas of specialization: Pharmaceutics, Compounding; Pharmaceutical Microbiology &
Biotechnology; Dispensing, and Pharmacy practices.
- FACULTY OF PHYSICAL SCIENCES
M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of Pure & Industrial Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics,; Computer Science, Statistics, and Physics & Astronomy. The Department of Pure & Industrial Chemistry offers the following options: Inorganic, Physical, Organic, Analytical, Fossil Fuel, Polymer, and Industrial Chemistry. The Department of Statistics offers the following options: Stochastic Processes: Time Series Modeling, Design of Experiments; Operations Research; and Applied Statistics. Department of Physics & Astronomy offers the following areas: Solid Earth Geophysics, Astrophysics, Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science, Solar Energy Physics, Atmospheric Physics, and Medical Physics.
13 FACULTY OF THE SOCIAL SCIENCES
PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D degree programmes. are offered by the Departments of Economics, Geography,
Political Science, Psychology, Sociology/Anthropology, and Social Work & Community Development.
Department of Geography also offers PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in Climate Change
Economics, Policy & Innovation. Departments of Philosophy, and Religion & Cultural Studies offers
M.A. and Ph.D. programmes only. MPA, M.Sc., DPA & Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the
Department of Public Administration and Local Government. Department of Psychology offers M.Sc.
& Ph.D. degree programmes in Experimental Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Clinical
Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Social Psychology, School Psychology, and
Counselling Psychology. Department of Sociology/Anthropology offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree
programmes in Industrial Relations, Industrial Sociology, Medical Sociology/Anthropology, Social
Development Studies, Criminology, Conflict and Change, Population Studies, Women Studies,
Ethnographic Studies, and Culture and Technology. Department of Social Work offers M.Sc. degree
programmes in Social Work Intervention, Social Work Ethics & Values, and Community
Development. Department of Political Science offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in Political
Theory; Public Administration; Comparative Politics; International Relations; Political Economy;
Electoral Studies; Conflict, Peace & Strategic Studies and Human Security & Counter Terrorism
Studies. The Department also offers PGD in Political Science and Election Administration. The
Departments of Religion & Cultural Studies and Philosophy do not offer PGD programmes.
14 FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes are offered by the Departments of Veterinary Anatomy,
Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Parasitology & Pharmacology, Veterinary Surgery & Radiology,
Veterinary Pathology & Microbiology and Veterinary Obstetrics & Reproductory Diseases.
Department of Veterinary Obstetrics & Reproductive Diseases offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree
programmes in the following areas: Veterinary Andrology; Gynaecology; Obstetrics and Reproductive
Biotechnology. Department of Veterinary Surgery & Radiology offers the following
programmes/areas: M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in Veterinary Surgery, and Ph.D. degree
programmes in Radiology & Anaesthesiology. Department of Veterinary Public Health & Preventive
Medicine offers MVPH and MPVM. degree programmes The Faculty offers MVM degree programmes
in Preventive Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Surgery & Radiology, Veterinary Obstetrics, &
Reproduction Diseases, and Veterinary Public Health & Zoonosis Diseases. M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in Veterinary Helminthology, Protozoology and Rickettsiology, Entomology and Acearology, Parasite Immunology & Parasite Zoonesis are offered by the Department of Veterinary
Parasitology & Entomology. M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in Veterinary Biochemistry,
Veterinary Physiology, and Veterinary Pharmacology & toxicology are also offered by the Departmentof Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology. NOTE: Where applicable, candidates would be expected to specialize in one of the fields of studywithin the Department (see also the current UNN PG Prospectus). There are no special areas withinsome Departments such as Architecture, Library & Information Science and Mass Communication.
INSTITUTE FOR DEVELOPMENT STUDIES (IDS)
PGD, M.Sc. & Ph.D. degree programmes in Development Studies are offered by the Institute forDevelopment Studies. The IDS has the following areas of specialization at Masters degree level:Governance and Social Change; Poverty, power relations and social change; Knowledge, Technologyand Society; International Development. At Ph.D degree level, the institute has the following areas ofspecialization: Human and Social Development; Community Development; Conflict Resolution andPeace-Building; Natural Development and Sustainable Development.
INSTITUTE OF AFRICAN STUDIES
PGD, M.A., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in African Studies are offered by the Institute of African Studies.
INSTITUTE OF MARITIME STUDIES (IMS)
PGD and M.Sc degree programmes in Maritime studies are offered in the Institute of Maritime Studiesin the following areas: – M.Sc and PGD in Maritime Business and International Logistics;- M.Sc and PGD in Maritime Law and Policy;- M.Sc in Maritime Telecommunication- M. Sc in Maritime Management.- PGD in Radio & Maritime Telecommunication;
CENTRE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT & CONTROL (CEMAC)
Centre for Environmental Management and Control (CEMAC) offers PGD, M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes in Environmental Management & Control; and Disaster Risk Management. The Centrealso offers Master’s degree programmes in Disaster Risk Management (MDRM).
POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES IN CLIMATE CHANGE ECONOMICS, POLICY AND INNOVATION (CCEPI)
Available programmes in Climate Change are:PGD in Cimate Change Economics, Policy and Innovation;M.Sc. in Cimate Change Economics, Policy and Innovation;Ph.D. in Cimate Change Economics, Policy and Innovation; andM.Sc./Ph.D. in Climate Change Economics, Policy and InnovationPresently, the PGD and degree programmes in Climate Change are based in the Department ofGeography, Faculty of the Social Sciences.
GENERAL ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
- i) Candidates for admission into any postgraduate programme of the University must haveobtained 5 credits in WASC or GCE or NECO including English. Candidates shall alsopossess the minimum entry requirements for admission into the first degree programmesin their areas of interest for postgraduate studies. For the PGD in Civil Engineering,Mechanical Engineering, and Architecture, only candidates with University degrees in relevant areas need apply.
- ii) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities.
A: POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMME
- Holders of Credit (Upper credit) level passes at HND or its equivalent inrelevant areas (for programmes in the Faculties of Agriculture and BusinessAdministration; the Departments of Political Science, Public Administration & LocalGovernment; and Vocational Teacher Education); and for Postgraduate Diploma in Electoral Administration Programme.). Qualifications such as AIB, ACCA, ACMA,ICAN, BEEC, CPA, etc may also be considered for admission.
- ii) Candidates with professional qualifications including HND must have obtained 5 creditsin WASC or GCE O/L including English and Mathematics for admission into degreecourses in Business Administration.iii) For Postgraduate Diploma in Geoinformatics & Surveying in particular, candidates withthird class honours degrees in Geography, Geology and other Physical Sciences, as wellas HND Upper Credit level passes in related fields, are also eligible.iv) Candidates who hold qualifications other than the above which are acceptable to theBoard of the School of Postgraduate Studies, and Senate of the University may also beconsidered for Admission.
B: MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
The following shall qualify for Master’s Degree admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of any other recognized universities who haveobtained the Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines with at least a second classhonours with not less than 2.5 GPA;
- Candidates with relevant Postgraduate Diploma from the University of Nigeria or anyother recognized university with at least credit level passes with a minimum GPA of 3.5on a 5-point scale or 3.0 on 4-point scale;
- Candidates whose first degrees are unclassified but have scores of 50% or above;
- For M.Ed. degree programmes, candidates with at least a good second class singlehonours degree in teaching subjects plus at least a credit level pass at PostgraduateDiploma in Education, or those who hold a third class honours degree in teachingsubject plus Postgraduate Diploma in Education passed at credit level or above;
- For MPA degree programme, candidates should, in addition to (i) and (ii) above, beserving administrative/managerial staff in the Public or Private sector with a at least twoyears post-qualification cognate experience;
- Holders of professional Fellowship qualifications such a FIMLT, FNILT, NIPR, or theirequivalents obtained through examination. However, candidates with the professionalcertificates listed above must have worked as Senior Technologist(s) or in equivalentposition(s) for at least three years;
- For MPH degree programme, candidates should in addition to (1) above, have at leastthree years relevant Post Qualification Experience and at least a Second Class HonoursDegree in Nursing Sciences, Sociology and Social Work, Psychology, MedicalMircobiology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Health Education,7Pharmacy, DVM, MBBS abd BDS. For MPH Degree Programe, the Department willscreen the candidates further and base their recommendation on such screening result.
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than those listed above, which are acceptableto the Senate of the University of Nigeria.
C: DOCTORATE DEGREE (Ph.D.) PROGRAMME
Candidates of the University of Nigeria or of any other recognized Universities who have obtainedthe Master’s degree appropriate for the proposed areas of study shall qualify for Doctorate Degreeadmission. Specifically:
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale is required for admission into Ph.Dprogramme in all Departments except those departments listed in C: (ii) below:
- A minimum GPA of 4.0 on a 5-point scale is required for admission into Ph.Dprogramme in the following DepartmentsFaculties: Music, Economics, Psychology,Education, Medical Sciences, and Health Sciences & Technology
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale or a B (60%) average provided thatsatisfactory research work formed part of the Masters Degree programme.
D: MASTER’S/Ph.D. DEGREE PROGRAMME
(a) A candidate with first class honours from University of Nigeria or any other recognizedUniversity may be admitted into a Master’s/Ph.D. programme in his/her discipline.
(b) A candidate with Master’s degree from a recognized University with a GPA of 3.50 on 5-pointscale or 3.00 on 4-point scale shall qualify for the Master’s/Ph.D in a related area. Anycandidate who is not qualified for Ph.D. programme on account of low GPA is still notqualified for admission into Master’s/ Ph.D. programme.
CEMAC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
The following may qualify for admission:
- Postgraduate Diploma Programme
(a) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or any other recognized Universities who haveobtained a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3rd Class degree. Such candidates shouldhave a minimum of five credits in WASC or GCE or NECO including English Language,Mathematics and a science subject.
(b) Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) from recognized institutions, with aminimum of upper level credit or its equivalent in relevant areas. Candidates with HNDshould have obtained a minimum of 5 credits in WASC or GCE O/L or NECO, includingEnglish Language, Mathematics and at least one science subject.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programme in Environmental Management and Control
(a) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or any other recognized universities who haveobtained the approved degree, with a minimum of second class honours division or itsequivalent in any of the relevant disciplines.
(b) Candidates with university honours degree who also hold the PGD in EnvironmentalManagement and Control of the University of Nigeria or other recognized universities witha minimum GPA of 3.50 on a 5-point scale or 3.00 on a 4-point scale is required.8
- Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) programme in Environmental Management and Control.
Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized universities who have obtained thedegree of M.Sc. in Environmental Management and Control or its equivalent.
- M.Sc./Ph.D. Programme in Environmental Management & ControlSee the General Entry Requirement for Masters/Ph.D programme in D (a) and (b) above.
- MDRM (Master in Disaster Risk Management)See the General Entry Requirement for Masters degree programme in B (i) to B (viii) above.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES IN INSTITUTE OF MARITIME STUDIES (IMS)
Postgraduate Diploma in Maritime Studies
- Holders of HND with at least upper credit level pass;
- Minimum of Second Class Honours degree with at least 2.5 GPA from UNN or any other recognized Universities. Master Degree in Maritime Studies
(a) M.Sc Maritime Management
(i) Minimum of a Second Class Honours degree with at least 2.5 G.P.A in Economics;Accountancy, Banking and Finance, Insurance, Management and Marketing;
(ii) Postgraduate Diploma in Maritime Management with a minimum of Upper Credit levelpass from UNN or any other recognized University;
(b) M.Sc in Maritime Business & International Logistics
(i) A minimum of Second Class Honours degree with at least 2.5 GPA in Economics,Accountancy, Banking & Finance, Insurance, Management and Marketing, from UNN orany other recognized University.
(ii) PGD in Maritime Business & International Logistics with a minimum of Upper Creditlevel pass.
(c) M.Sc Maritime Telecommunication
(i) A minimum of a Second Class Honours degree with at least 2.5 GPA inElectrical/Electronics Engineering or related disciplines from UNN or other recognizedUniversity.
(ii) Candidates with PGD in Maritime Telecommunications of UNN or any other recognizedinstitution with at least Upper Credit level pass.
(d) M.Sc Maritime Law and Policy
(i) A good honours degree in Law (LLB) from UNN or any other recognized University. Duration of Programme: All Master degree programme in Maritime Studies has a minimum of 18months (3 Semesters) while PGD programme has a minimum of 12 months (2 Semesters).
ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES IN CLIMATE CHANGE ECONOMICS, POLICY AND INNOVATION (CCEPI) POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMME
The following shall qualify for postgraduate diploma admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or any other recognized Universities;
- Holders of Credit (Upper credit) level passes at HND;
- Candidates with the Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of third class honours;
- See also the general entry requirements for postgraduate diploma programmes.
MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
The following shall qualify for Master’s Degree admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of any other recognized universities who have obtained the Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines with at least a good second class honours in the following faculties/disciplines: Agriculture, Biological Sciences, HealthSciences & Technology, Pyhsical Sciences, The Social Sciences and veterinaryMedicine, Business Administration, Environmental Studies, faculties in Humanities and Law.
- Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma in Climate Change Economics, Policy and Innovation of the University of Nigeria or awarded by any other recognized institution with at least upper credit level passes;
- Candidates whose first degrees are unclassified but have scores of 50% or above;
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than those listed above, which are acceptable to the Senate of the University of Nigeria.
DOCTORATE DEGREE (Ph.D) PROGRAMME
The following shall qualify for Doctorate Degree admission:Candidates of the University of Nigeria or of any other recognized Universities who have obtained the Master’s degree in Climate Change Economics, Policy and Innovation with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 on a 5-point scale, 3.00 point on a 4-point scale or ‘B’ 60% averageprovided that satisfactory research work formed part of the Master’s degree programme;
The following shall qualify for Master’s/Ph.D. admission:
(a) A candidate with first class honors from University of Nigeria or any other recognizedUniversity may be admitted into a Master’s/Ph.D. programme;
(b) A candidate with Master’s degree from the University with a grade point average of 3.50 on 5-point or 3.00 on 4-point scale. i.e 60%.
SANDWICH POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
- Ed. Sandwich programmes in the Faculty of Education are in the following departments: Departments of Adult Education, Arts Education, Science Education, Health & Physical Education (Health Education and Physical Education & Recreation options), Social Science Education and Vocational Teacher Education. MLS degree programme is offered in the Department of Library & Information Science. Please note that Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), Postgraduate Diploma in Vocational Teacher Education (PGDTE) and Postgraduate Diploma in Library & Information Science (PGDL) are based in the Institute of Education under Sandwich Programme.
DURATION OF COURSES
(a) Postgraduate Diploma (Regular) – Two semesters10(b) Postgraduate Diploma (Sandwich) – Three Long Vacations(c) Master’s degree (Regular) :
- A minimum of 3 semesters for full-time and 5 Semesters for part-time in all Departments/Faculties except for the Departments/Faculties listed in c (ii) below.
- A minimum of 4 semesters for Full-time and 6 semesters for part-time for the followingDepartmentd/Faculties: Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration and LocalGovernment (PALG), Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Education and BusinessAdministration.
(d) M.Ed. (Sandwich) – three long vacations.
(e) Ph.D. degree Programme – A minimum of six semester for full time and eight semesters for parttime in all Faculties except Agriculture which is four semesters for full time and six sixsemesters for part time. (Ph.D. is not run as a Sandwich programme).
Candidates are expected to complete their programmes at the minimum duration but not to exceed the maximum.
9 Replies to “UNN Postgraduate Courses Available For 2015/2016”
pls, I want to run my master degree in statistics
Please i wish 2 know as a masters degree in Envtal Education, if i can do my Ph.D in Environmental Engineering?
I want to run my master degree in network security or outline related courses for me pls. computer sc
Please I want to enrol for your master programme in Education OTM option.
Really the UNN is among the leading universities in Nigeria, but my only advice is that your Senate have to lower the requirements of under joining trough your MSc programs from 3.5 to at least 2.50 as you knew examination is not the only way of determining knowledge . Please i want know Non Igbo people can admitted into UNN eg Hausa Fulani ? If he admitted is he save environmentally speaking?
Hello.. please i want to run an MSc. for Environmental health…[email protected] d requirement??
Please can one run masters program in UNN within a year?
Pls how is much is post graduate in nsuka ?
with Associate of Medical laboratory Science can I apply for Msc..Medical Laboratory Sciences @ unn…?